R. Leonard Myatt
|9/80 - 9/81
||Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, MS in Mechanical Eng.
|9/75 - 6/79
||Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, BS in Mechanical Eng. (Cum Laude)
|08/99 – present
||Myatt Consulting, Inc., Norfolk, MA (President & CEO)
||Numerous fusion and HEP projects: ORNL (NCSX, ITER), PPPL (NCSX, NSTX), MIT/PSFC (SSC, Heavy-Ion Fusion, Proton Radiography) and extensive commercial industry projects (see website for client list).
| 01/98 – 07/99
||MTECHNOLOGY, Wayland, MA (Sr. Mechanical Engineer)
||Design of linear synchronous motors applied to maglev train and mining material transport
| 10/81 - 12/97
|| Stone & Webster Engineering Corp., Boston, MA (Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer)
||'81- '87: Analysis and qualification of ASME Class I Nuclear power piping and equipment
||'88-'98: On-site at MIT/PSFC working on various fusion engineering studies: CIT/ BPX/ TPX/ C-Mod/ ITER
| 07/79 - 08/80
|| General Electric Aircraft Engine Group, Lynn, MA (Engineer Development Program)
Understanding the essential engineering aspects of thermal, structural, magnetic systems which allows building accurate finite element models, analyses, design evaluation, optimization and technical report writing. Particular expertise in superconducting, normally conducting & permanent magnet systems used in a broad range of industries. EM shielding of electronics and people. Substantial structural analysis experience in nuclear power generation.
- Thermal-structural-electro-mechanical engineer since 1981, specializing in FEM using ANSYS.
- Successful engineering consulting business servicing a diverse range of industries since 1999.
- Participated heavily in ITER-EDA (mid ‘90s) and US/ITER’s magnet, ICH & ECH activities (2008-present).
- Committed to excellence in the simulation of many engineering applications requiring thoughtful, precise, complex, multi-physics models often related to electromagnets.
- Primary analyst for start-up (Mevion) contributed substantially to analysis and qualification of a SC proton therapy cyclotron; field-shaping and support of DC magnet, cold-mass support and thermal isolation, vacuum vessel, beam extraction magnetics, room and electronics shielding, gantry structure.
- 11 years at the MIT PSFC, performing FEA of fusion & HEP electromagnets and related structures.
- Primary or co-inventor with a few patents.
- Author of > 25 papers on magnet engineering and field computations; MT, SOFE, ASC, PAC, Compumag.
- Author of various project standards, design criteria and analysis memos.
- ANSYS EMag course instructor, 1996-2006.
1997 IEEE member
1985 Registered Professional Mechanical Engineer, Massachusetts
Married with two children. Other interests include time with family & friends, travel, boating and golf.
R. Leonard Myatt Partial Publications List
- L. Bromberg, L. Myatt, et al., “Internal Quench of Superconducting Magnets by the Use of AC Fields,” Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transactions, Vol. 22, Issue: 3, 2012.
- R.L. Myatt, K.D. Freudenberg, “ITER CS intermodule support structure,” IEEE 24th Symp. Fusion Engineering, 2011.
- K. Freudenberg, L. Myatt, “ITER Central Solenoid Support Structure Analysis,” IEEE 24th Symp. Fusion Engineering, 2011.
- M. Kalish, L. Myatt, et al., “NCSX Toroidal Field Coil Design,” IEEE/NPSS 21st Symp. Fusion Engineering, 2005.
- R. Meinke, L. Myatt et al., “Multi-cylinder quadrupoles with square cross section,” Particle Accelerator Conference proceedings, Vol. 5, 2001.
- J. Schultz, L. Myatt, et al., “Superconducting magnets for Maglifter launch assist sleds,” IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 11, 2001.
- Lietzke, L. Myatt, et. al, “Development of superconducting quadrupoles for heavy ion fusion,” Proceedings of the Particle Accelerator Conference, Vol. 5, 2001.
- J. Schultz, L. Myatt, et al., “The KSTAR superconducting magnet system,” 17th IEEE Symp. Fusion Engineering, 1997.
- J. Sorci, L. Myatt, et al., “Halo current measurements on Alcator C-Mod,” 16th IEEE Symp. Fusion Engineering, Vol. 1, 1995.
- A. Zhukovsky, L. Myatt, et al., “Design and fabrication of the cryostat for the floating coil of the Levitated Dipole Experiment (LDX),” IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 10, Issue 1, 2000.
- P. S. Litherland, K. D. Freudenberg and R. Leonard Myatt, "ITER Central Solenoid Alternate Pre-compression Structure - Concept and Analysis," IEEE 17th Symp. on Fusion Eng., San Diego, May 2009.
- K. D. Freudenberg, L. Myatt, et al., "Performance Evaluation and Analysis of Critical Interface Features of the National Compact Stellarator Experiment (NCSX)," presented at the IEEE/NPSS 17th Symp. on Fusion Eng., San Diego, May 2009.
- L. Myatt and Peter H. Titus, “3D, Coupled Electromagnetic, Thermal, Current Diffusion in the Finger Joints of the Alcator C-Mod Toroidal Field Coils,” IEEE/NPSS 17th Symp. on Fusion Eng., San Diego, October 1997.
- R. Myatt & P. Titus, “3D, Coupled Electromagnetic, Thermal, Current Diffusion in the Finger Joints of the Alcator C-Mod Toroidal Field Coils,” 17th IEEE/NPSS Symp. Fusion Engineering, Vol. 2, 1997.
- L. Myatt and R.D. Pillsbury, Jr., “DC Resistance and Eddy Current Losses in the ITER Conductor Joint,” IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 5, No. 2, June 1995.
- L. Myatt, "3-D Stress Analysis of the TPX Toroidal Field Coil Support Structure," IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 5, No. 2, June 1995.
- R. Leonard Myatt, "Structural Characteristics of the TPX CICC-Based TF Coil Winding Pack, "IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 5, No. 2, June 1995.
- L. Myatt, A. L. Radovinsky and R. D. Pillsbury, Jr., "Thermal Analysis of the TPX TF Coil Case for Eddy Current and Neutron Heating," IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 5, No. 2, June 1995.
- L. Myatt, "Finite Element Analysis of the TPX Toroidal Field Coil System,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 30, No. 4, July 1994.
- R. Leonard Myatt, R. D. Pillsbury, and B. A. Smith, "Electromagnetic Analyses of the GEM Detector Magnet System for SSC,” 9th Conference on the Computation of Electromagnetic Fields, Miami, FL, 1993.
- R. Leonard Myatt and P. G. Marston, "Coupled Electromagnetic Structural Analysis of a DC Magnet for a MHD Power Generator," 9th Conference on the Computation of Electromagnetic Fields, Miami, FL, 1993.
- Alexi L. Radovinsky, R. Leonard Myatt, et al., "Eddy Current Heating in the Cold Structure in TPX," 9th Conference on the Computation of Electromagnetic Fields, Miami, FL, 1993.
- H. Becker and R. Leonard Myatt, "Structural Behavior of Coaxes in Transverse Magnetic Fields," IEEE 15th Symp. Fusion Engineering, 1993.
- R. Leonard Myatt, "Detailed Structural Evaluation of the TPX Toroidal Field Magnet Nose Region," IEEE 15th Symp. Fusion Engineering, 1993.
- R. Leonard Myatt, "Axisymmetric Structural Simulation of the Central Solenoid for the Burning Plasma Experiment (BPX)," IEEE 14th Symp. Fusion Engineering, Vol. 1, 1991.
- R. Thome, L. Myatt, et. al, “Design and R&D for the central solenoid for the Compact Ignition Tokamak (CIT),” IEEE 13th Symp. Fusion Engineering, 1989.
Kristine Bergeron Cochran, Ph.D.
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Civil Engineering
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Civil Engineering
- BS, Johns Hopkins University, Civil Engineering
ENGINEERING AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
- Engineering Consultant, Pleasantville & Valhalla NY (6/11 to present)
- Engineering assessments and technical report writing for US ITER (4/13, ongoing, through Myatt Consulting, Inc.)
- Micro-mechanical modeling of high-temperature creep in Grade 91 steel (10/14-12/17)
- Dislocation-based fracture mechanics modeling (6/11 to 2/13)
- Engineering Researcher, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TN (4/10 to 5/11)
- Structural Engineering Associate, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Northbrook, IL (5/09 to 4/10)
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Department of Energy Fellow, Sandia National Laboratory, NM (Summer 03)
- Structural Engineering Intern URS Corporation, Hunt Valley, MD (1/00 to 8/00)
- Professional Engineer Intern (EIT), State of Illinois license no. 061-032386
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Manhattan College, Mathematics
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Illinois, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Teaching Assistant, University of Illinois, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Teaching Assistant, University of Illinois, College of Engineering/Mathematics Department
- Finite element and structural analysis: ABAQUS, WARP3D, ALEGRA, SAP2000
- Material behavior assessment: LEFM fatigue crack growth analysis, constitutive model development
- Computer programming: C++, Fortran, OpenGL, Excel VBA
- Other software: MATLAB, Mathematica, LaTeX, Excel, Word
Attached publication list including conference proceedings, journal articles, and dissertation.
Available upon request.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
- Martovetsky, N., R. Walsh, K. Freudenberg, W. Reiersen, D. Everitt, D. McRae, L. Myatt, K. Cochran, and C. Jong., “Fatigue Cyclic Testing of the ITER CS Inlets,” IO Conf Ser,: Mater. Sci. Eng. 502, 2019.
- Messner, M. C., O. Nassif, R Ma, T. J. Truster, K. Cochran, D. Parks, and T.-L Sham, “Combined Crystal Plasticity and Grain Boundary Modeling of Creep in Ferritic-Martensitic Steels, Part 2: The Effect of Stress and Temperature on Engineering and Microstructural Properties,” Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., 27(7): 2019.
- Nassif, O., T. J. Truster, R Ma, K. Cochran, D. Parks, M. C. Messner, and T.-L Sham, “Combined crystal plasticity and grain boundary modeling of creep in ferritic-martensitic steels: I. Theory and implementation,” Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., 27(7): 2019.
- Messner, M. C., T. J. Truster, K. B. Cochran, D. M. Parks, and T.-L. Sham, “FY17 Status Report on the Micromechanical Finite Element Modeling of Creep Fracture of Grade 91 Steel,” United States. doi:10.2172/1401966. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1401966.
- Erickson, M., and K. B., Cochran. "DISFRAC Testing and Results." Proc. ASME 2014 PVP, Anaheim, California, USA. July 20–24, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1115/PVP2014-28543
- Erickson, M, K. B. Cochran, P. T. Williams, and B. R. Bass, “The Role of Grain Size in Predicting Cleavage Fracture Toughness of Pressure Vessel Steels,” Proc. ASME 2013 PVP, Paris, France, 14-18 July 2013.
- Cochran, K. B., M. Erickson, P. T. Williams, H. B. Klasky, and B. R. Bass, “A Dislocation-Based Cleavage Initiation Model for Pressure Vessel Steels,” Proc. ASME 2012 PVP, Toronto Canada, 15-19 July 2012.
- Cochran, K.B., R. H. Dodds, and K. D. Hjelmstad. “The Role of Strain Ratcheting and Mesh Refinement in Finite Element Analyses of Plasticity Induced Crack Closure.” International Journal of Fatigue. doi:10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2011.03.005, 2011.
- Cochran K.B. Numerical Modeling Issues in Finite Element Simulation of Plasticity Induced Crack Closure with an Emphasis on Material Model Effects. PhD thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; 2009.
- Malvar, L.J., J.V. Cox, and K.B. Cochran. “Bond Between Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Bars and Concrete I: Experimental Study.” Journal of Composites for Construction, 7(2):154-163, 2003.
- Cox, J.V., and K.B. Cochran. “Bond Between Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer Bars and Concrete II: Computational Modeling.” Journal of Composites for Construction, 7(2):164-171, 2003.
- Cox, J.V., K. Bergeron, L.J. Malvar, “A Combined Experimental and Numerical Study of the Bond between Lightweight Concrete and CFRP Bars.” Sessions on Interface Degradation, 14th ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, The University of Texas at Austin, 21-24 May 2000.
- Tyberg, C.S., K. Bergeron, M. Sankarapandian, P. Shih, A.C. Loos, D.A. Dillard, J.E. McGrath, J.S. Riffle, U. Sorathia, “Structure-Property Relationships of Void-Free Phenolic-Epoxy Matrix Materials.” Polymer. 41(13): 5053-5062, 2000.
- Tyberg, C.S., S.L. Lin, K. Bergeron, M. Sankarapandian, P. Shih, A.C. Loos, J.E. McGrath, J.S. Riffle, U. Sorathia, “Tough, Void-Free Flame Retardant Phenolic Composites: Processability and Properties.” International SAMPE Symposium & Exhibition. 44(I):1206-1216, 1999.